Skip to main content

Praising God for this health update and for providing a wonderful new doctor!

Friends, thank you so much for praying for our health. The Lord has answered specifically and mightily!
It has come to light that I have a genetic disorder, one that's been with me all my life. Knowing the details of this gene has been able to connect the dots of so many health issues that I've struggled with for years. There's treatment for it and for the several dominoes of struggling health that have resulted in the past decade. I've been on prescription supplements for the past 40 days, and have seen tremendous improvement in my breath, energy, and mobility! I'm floored with God's provision of the diagnosis and treatment!
The diagnosis came through a doctor who is unlike any other I've seen. During my first appointment with him, he asked me one main question, and then prayed over me for 10 minutes. It was a specific, humble prayer, acknowledging that all wisdom comes from God. This doc's humility was obvious, and he said that he accepted the call to be a pastor, got a seminary degree in pastoral care, and then felt the Lord calling him to direct that care through medicine, so he went to med school. He said that over the years, God has brought many ministers to him for medical care.
After the prayer, he asked me questions about my medical history for a solid hour. He said that he feels God has given him a gift for diagnostics, so he becomes a student of his patients and then spends an entire morning thinking and praying through diagnosis before administering bloodwork/testing.
After this, he did recommend different testings, which surfaced not only the genetic disorder--the root cause, but also a blood infection and some hormonal imbalances--some of those domino. I'm on treatment for all 3 things, the two latter should resolve in a few months, while the genetic treatment will be lifelong.
Words don't adequately express how thankful we are! And it gives us good insight of where to direct our next steps for Holly's health. This doctor said, "First, let's take care of mom, which will point us in the right directions for daughter."
The next step is to have Holly tested for this gene. Will you please keep praying with us that God will reveal in the same manner whatever is causing Holly's poor health?
One of the results of the gene is that my capacity to eliminate toxins from the body is reduced to 50%. Therefore, if I'm exposed to many toxins at once, which is so common in our modern world, I will succumb to other illnesses/diseases. The water pollution that we experienced is one of those examples--it had much worse effects on me and Holly than the rest of the family. This gene explains why I've had to be strict with what foods I eat, what personal products I use, and diligent to stay away from pollution. While these things are good for everyone in the family, if I strayed from them for a short period of time, such as while traveling, I felt the adverse effects quickly and to a greater degree. The treatment available will not change my toxin elimination--it will continue to function at 50%, so I must continue to be fastidious with all of those things, but it WILL help me metabolize vitamins, which will greatly improve my immunity, strength, and reactivity to allergens. This is what I've been seeing. In short, I've been malnourished my entire life even while eating healthy foods. My body is having an awakening to these vital nutrients, and it's like a whole new world for me! I'm looking forward to how strong I will be in a year.
Please keep praying for me as I fight this blood infection. I'm on cycle 3 of 4 with hard-hitting meds for 4 days, then 10 days of recovery meds. Please pray that it is eradicated with the 4th round which will finish the day before our staff team arrives for Summer Mission 2019. This infection is likely another "domino" of the weakened immune system + decreased toxin elimination. The bacteria that I have is a common one that's found in the dirt. People come in contact with it all the time, and it's usually no big deal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Idea to Published!

  Last night I taught at Philly Cru's city-wide meeting (virtually) for a series they're hosting called "The Gospel & ____." My topic was "The Gospel & Social Media," which is one of my favorites things to teach. In 2014 when I spoke about it at Cru's Spring Break conference, people asked me if I could put some of it in writing. I liked the idea, but it was also the year we were moving to Italy, and while writing in the Italian countryside sounds dreamy, our city life in Italia was full of other endeavors. In 2017, after we had been back in the U.S. for a year, I wondered if it might be the time to start writing. My wondering turned to certainty when I began consistently waking up at 5AM without an alarm, which gave me two hours of alone time on an average day. I knew the Lord was guiding me because I never (ever ever) wake up on my own that early, yet I consistently was up and felt clear-headed and compelled to write. My bff commemorated the co

Our daughter's Lyme disease update

Thanks so much for praying for H! We have felt love and care from far and near. We got word last week that she is free from Lyme disease!!!! We are praising the Lord! Our area of the country is known as "Lyme disease capital of the world." Pennsylvania's wooded landscape and mild temperatures make conditions ripe for ticks that carry the disease. Lyme disease cases in the US, 2017 Here's why this whole thing has been so trying and tricky: Lyme disease is from a bacteria that is shaped like a spiral. When it's not caught early, it literally drills into the body and eventually reaches the nervous system where it is no longer possible to eradicate, and people suffer with pain and disabilities associated it with it for their whole lives. But when detected early, it can be eliminated with high dose antibiotics. We are so thankful that we recognized the early symptoms in H and that her doctor treated her right away. There were some complications along the

Presidential Ceremony Highlights

Our family gathered around the breakfast table to join the live, worldwide induction ceremony for Cru's new president, Steve Sellers. Our hearts are so encouraged!  Highlights include: 1. History of Cru's founder, Bill Bright, and seeing God's faithfulness on display. 2. Our outgoing president, Steve Douglass, addressing the global ministry, giving his full support to Sellers, and encouraging us all to value deeply and prioritize unity among the body of Christ. 3. VP of Global leadership, Dela Adadevoh, "We are called to 'every' person, and that is not a human thing, that is a God thing!" 4. Chairman of the Board of Directors, Barry Cannada assuring everyone of the Lord's leading in this passing of the baton of leadership, "We prayed; we fasted; we carefully selected." 5. Mission leaders from over 25 nations affirming God's calling to the Great Commission in their native tongues. (Wowing!) 6. Global prayer, live in unison, for the new pre